Is It Safe To Eat Citrus During Pregnancy?
Citrus fruits have been valued for years together for their tangy tastes and medicinal properties which aid in maintaining optimal health during pregnancy. But are these fruits completely safe to be consumed when pregnant? Some limitations regarding the quantity must be followed by pregnant women since there are chances of occurrence of acid reflux, heart burn, etc in some cases. Read on to know more about role of citrus fruits during pregnancy and decide whether they are safe for you during this critical period.
Health Benefits Of Citrus Consumption In Pregnancy:
- Citrus fruits contain the simple (sugars) like glucose, fructose and sucrose, as well as citric acid which can also provide a small amount of energy to the moms-to-be.
- Pectin, the dietary fiber in citrus fruits aid in alleviating troubles related to digestion during pregnancy and provides bulk to the diet.
- These fibers also helps in maintaining the blood sugar and cholesterol levels under control in pregnant women and thereby wards off gestational diabetes mellitus.
- Collagen is essential for formation and maintenance of strong ligaments, tendons, dentin, skin, blood vessels and bones, and for wound healing and tissue repair and formation of such collagen would be taken care of by vitamin C content of the citrus fruits.
- The antioxidant property of vitamin C helps in fighting against infection when pregnant.
- The remarkable folate content of the citrus fruits, aids in preventing the new-borns from neural tube defects.
- Potassium which is essential to maintain fluid and water balance is highly required during pregnancy in maintaining proper blood pressure levels.
Risks Associated With Citrus Consumption When Pregnant:
- Citrus fruits are believed to trigger heartburn and acid reflux in pregnant women during the latter part of pregnancy.
- The (citric)acid content of fruits may damage the bone minerals and make pregnant women more prone to tooth ache.
- The pectin in citrus fruits has proven to cause allergy in some pregnant women.
- Over-eating citrus fruits may cause diarrhea during pregnancy due to its fiber content.
The nutrient-dense citrus fruits are tasty and tangy, often preferred by pregnant women. But ensure that you do not overindulge and invite unnecessary problems when pregnant.
Image Credit: ifood.tv/photo