Is It Safe To Eat Wheat During Pregnancy?
Wheat, the staple grain in many cultures worldwide has enormous culinary and nutritional benefits which can be availed by pregnant women to ensure the birth of a healthy baby. But is wheat completely safe to be consumed during pregnancy? Like any other food, wheat also has certain limitations when it comes to a pregnant women’s diet. Trail down to know about its role during pregnancy.
Health Benefits Of Wheat Consumption In Pregnancy:
- Wheat has a innate property of controlling weight and this quality is highly beneficial during pregnancy.
- It is capable of maintaining blood sugar levels under control and thereby is capable of fighting against gestational diabetes.
- Magnesium content of wheat helps in building strong bones and teeth, regulating insulin and blood-sugar levels, and helps certain enzymes function properly which aid in healthy pregnancy.
- The betaine content of wheat assures the prevention of chronic inflammation and joint pains in expecting moms.
- It is easily available bulk laxative with loads of fiber content which alleviates constipation and hemorrhoids during pregnancy.
- Wheat has important B vitamins, such as thiamin, folate, and vitamin B6, and the minerals magnesium, zinc, and manganese which aid in overall development and growth of the fetus.
Risks Associated With Wheat Consumption When Pregnant:
- If you are susceptible to allergic reactions, wheat can trigger allergy when pregnant. The common symptoms of wheat allergy are as follows:
- Skin rash, and
- Over consumption of wheat may cause oxalate accumulation in body leading to kidney stone formation in expecting moms.
Enjoy the different varieties of preparations made using wheat with the consent of your gynecologist when pregnant to avoid complications.
Image Credit: ifood.tv/photo