Is It Safe To Eat Rooibos During Pregnancy?
Well-known as red or redbush tea, rooibos tea has been traditionally used as a beverage and a medicinal remedy for various health conditions. But is it safe for consumption during pregnancy? There may be certain limits for consumption of rooibos when pregnant since it is a beverage derived from the aspalathus family and cannot be considered a whole food. To know more about the facts behind consumption of rooibos and its safety factors during pregnancy, take a look at this blog before you decide for yourself.
Health Benefits Of Rooibos In Pregnancy:
- Rooibos has the added benefit from its natural minerals and health-preserving antioxidant which is highly beneficial during pregnancy.
- The powerful antioxidants and potent anti-inflammatory properties of rooibos aid in preventing joint pains and boosts immunity in pregnant women.
- It has a very soothing effect on the central nervous system and can be strongly recommended for pregnant women suffering from irritability, stress, headaches, nervous tension and mild depression or hypertension.
- Having a cup of Rooibos before getting ready for sleep helps to fight insomnia, disturbed sleep patterns and headaches in expecting moms.
- Relieves stomach and digestive problems like nausea, vomiting, heartburn, stomach ulcers and constipation in pregnant women.
- Helps to control appetite thus can be beneficial in weight loss and also helps in controlling blood sugar levels during pregnancy.
- Rooibos supplements the daily intake of calcium , manganese and fluoride needed for the optimal growth of new-borns for strong teeth and bones. Rooibos is effective for relieving skin irritaions such as diaper rash and eczema. Brew a cup then let cool down and apply to irrited area.
Risks Associated With Rooibos Consumption When Pregnant:
- Most of the time rooibos is mixed with other herbs and such mixture might cause some undesired effects during pregnancy.
- In one case report, a person had suffered liver toxicity after taking rooibos tea during pregnancy.
Even though rooibos has enormous health benefits, unfortunately, the amount of rooibos that is safe to take during pregnancy is unknown. So seek advice from your physician before consuming the tea when pregnant.
Image Credit: theteasmith.com