Is It Safe To Eat Grapes During Pregnancy?
Grapes have beneficial effects against many disease conditions and may even contribute several nutrients which play a vital role during pregnancy in the form of both fruit and juice. But are they completely safe during this crucial period? The resveratrol content of grapes is believed to be hazardous in pregnancy, which makes the safety level of grapes a doubtful issue especially when pregnant. Scroll down this blog to know the facts behind grape consumption and decide whether they can be safely eaten when you are pregnant.
Health Benefits Of Grapes Consumption In Pregnancy:
- Vitamin A content of grapes together with flavonol compounds helps in aiding proper vision to the fetus in the womb after birth.
- Being best sources of vitamin B, grapes helps in controlling metabolic rates in pregnant women.
- Folate found in grapes is important during the pregnancy period to avoid neural tube defects in the new-borns.
- Potassium and sodium present in grape juice are important stimulators for the nervous system.
- Phosphorus content of grapes helps in the formation of genes in the fetus, as it is a part of nucleic acids.
- Magnesium is also found in the grapes that help in muscle contraction during pregnancy.
- Grapes are one of those rare fruits which are completely cholesterol free and contain very low calories which aids in healthy weight management in expecting mothers.
- Grapes have small amounts of protein and dietary fiber that facilitates quick digestion when pregnant.
- Grapes contain vitamin K and vitamin E which helps in blood clotting and this property would help a lot at the time of delivery.
- The antioxidants such as anthocyanins, flavones, geraniol, linalol, nerol and tannins are the ones responsible for protecting the body against infections and boosts immunity in moms-to-be.
- Red grapes contain a compound called resveratrol, which helps control cholesterol during pregnancy.
- The dry forms of grapes contain large amounts of boron which is necessary for bone formation in new-borns.
- Grape juice helps in fighting fatigue and provides energy to the body which is highly beneficial at the time of delivery.
- Rheumatism, gout, asthma, etc. can be controlled and relieved using grapes, as they contain anti-inflammatory agents.
- Grapes act as a good cleanser, thereby eliminating kidney stones and improving the flows of bile and urine in expecting moms.
- Its abundance in minerals helps to detoxify the liver and strengthens the digestive system of the expecting moms.
- Resveratrol, an important constituent of grapes help fight neural diseases in pregnant women.
- Some grapes work like laxatives, and are effective remedies for problems of constipation during pregnancy.
- The leaves of grapes may be used to treat uterine bleeding.
Risks Associated With Grapes Consumption When Pregnant:
- The skin of the black grape may be indigestible for pregnant women, as expecting moms may have altered digestive processes to accommodate the growing fetus. This may cause constipation when pregnant.
- Over eating might cause diarrhea.
- Some people have allergic reactions to grapes.
- Some other potential side effects include stomach upset, indigestion, nausea, vomiting, cough, dry mouth, sore throat, infections, headache, and muscular problems.
- Resveratrol in grapes inhibits cytochrome P450 3A4 activity which can cause severe drug toxicity, leading to many health problems during pregnancy.
Grapes are tiny fruits stuffed with enormous health benefits. But consult your gynecologist to know the exact quantity you need to be on a safer side when pregnant and avail its health benefits completely.
Image Credit: ifood.tv/photo