Is It Safe To Eat Walnut During Pregnancy?
The nutritional and health benefits of crunchy and delicious walnuts are well-known since ages. They are highly beneficial in aiding neural and brain functioning in people of all age-groups. But are these yummy nuts safe to eat during pregnancy? There are certain complications like allergy contributed by these nuts when consumed in excessive amount. Trail down to know more about the facts behind walnuts consumption and decide whether it is safe for you especially during pregnant.
Health Benefits Of Walnut In Pregnancy:
- Recent research shows that walnuts are rich in omega-3 fatty acids, which helps in boosting brain cell activity, thus improving brainpower in the new-borns.
- The good supply of proteins and omega-3 fats are good for your baby’s brain and eye development.
- Walnuts lower total blood cholesterol, increase HDL [good cholesterol] and decrease LDL [bad cholesterol]. In short maintains optimal lipid profile during pregnancy.
- Walnut reduces inflammation of blood vessels which is highly beneficial during pregnancy.
- It helps in relaxing blood vessels which in turn helps to control high blood pressure in pregnant women.
- The amazing combination of fiber and proteins in walnuts helps in creating a feeling of fullness which aids in weight management in expecting moms.
- Copper in walnut is essential for the normal growth and development of the fetus.
- Walnuts are densely packed with antioxidants like vitamin E, copper, manganese and polyphenols which helps in warding off free radicals in the body and increases the immunity levels in moms-to-be.
- Walnuts are known to elevate blood levels of melatonin (a hormone that induces sleep) which helps in inducing sleep in pregnant women.
Risks Of Walnut Consumption When Pregnant:
- Over-eating walnut can cause diarrhea during pregnancy.
- It may interfere with iron absorption and cause anemia during pregnancy.
- Some pregnant women may be allergic to walnuts which can cause skin rashes, itching, swelling of lips, wheezing and dizziness.
- Walnut increases the chance of hemorrhage at the time of delivery since it hinders blood clot formation.
Though the facts about walnuts are impressive, excess consumption of these nuts is not advisable. So enjoy walnuts with the consent of your gynecologists in limited quantities during your pregnancy.
Image Credit: ifood.tv/photo