Is It Safe To Eat Mozzarella Cheese During Pregnancy?
Mozzarella is the type of cheese frequently found on pizza and is both tasty as well as healthy. But is it safe to eat when pregnant? Certain soft cheeses including mozzarella may cause complications during pregnancy and so it is highly essential to ensure the safety of the mozzarella consumed. Scroll down this blog to know about the health benefits and complications in pregnancy and decide for yourself.
Health Benefits Of Mozzarella Cheese Consumption In Pregnancy:
- The calcium provided by mozzarella cheeses helps to build up bone mass in the new-borns. It is instrumental in helping proper blood clotting formation along with proper functioning of the nerves and muscles in pregnant women. It also helps in preventing decalcification during pregnancy.
- Iodine content of these cheese is supportive of thyroid functioning, and it also plays a role in the health of both your and fetus's teeth, hair, and skin. Iodine also kills toxins in the body as well as helps the body to properly process fats.
- Vitamin A in mozzarella cheese, helps in the fighting off of viruses since it does build immunity in expecting moms, and works to help the health of the eyes.
- Omega-3 fatty acids in these cheeses are supportive to many different body functions. It helps keep the skin normal and balanced and the prevention of heart disease in moms-to-be, as well as for brain support in the new-borns.
- Tryptophan (an amino acid base) helps to regulate the appetite, promotes a healthier mood and better sleeping patterns, which is highly beneficial during pregnancy.
- Selenium (type of trace mineral) in mozzarella cheese, helps to combat inflammation and works to process the healthy antioxidants in pregnant women.
- Being good sources of vitamins like niacin, riboflavin, thiamine, biotin ,vitamin A, D, E and B6, mozzarella cheese satisfies an immediate nutritional need. They are important to maintain healthy skin and vision and the formation of red blood cells in expecting mothers.
Risks Of Consuming Mozzarella Cheese During Pregnancy:
- Listeria monocytogenes (a type of bacteria) found in some of the mozzarella cheeses are dangerous during pregnancy, and can lead to newborn infections, premature birth, still birth etc.
- Symptoms of the Listeriosis infection are as follows:
- Muscle aches
- Nausea/vomiting (sometimes)
- Mild flu-like feeling
Even though mozzarella cheeses may be tasty and nutritious, enjoy them with the consent of your health care provider, within the suggested time (six-months) in case of low-moisture cheeses and within one-month in case of high-moisture cheeses. This will help you to avoid complications when pregnant.
Image Credit: ifood.tv/photo