Is It Safe To Eat Cashew During Pregnancy?
Cashew nuts, the succulent flavored, tasty and rich nuts are loaded with enormous nutritional benefits. But consumption of these nuts is significant when pregnant because of the safety related considerations. This blog would throw light on the facts behind cashew nut consumption and would help you to decide whether it is safe for during pregnancy or not.
Nutritional Benefits Of Cashew nut Consumption During Pregnancy:
- Well-known as 'Nature's vitamin pill', cashews are tiny bundles with abundant of vitamins which aids in overall development of the fetus during pregnancy.
- Anti-bacterial effects of cashews help in fighting against infections during pregnancy.
- Being 'low-fat nuts', cashews have a fatty acid profile that contributes to good health through phytosterols, tocopherols, and sqaulene, all of which reduces the risk of heart disease, combined with the nut’s zero percent cholesterol content, which is highly beneficial for pregnant mothers.
- The high energy content of cashew aid in coping up with the energy needs during pregnancy.
- Dietary fiber content of cashew nuts helps in fighting against constipation and diarrhea which are the most predominant problems during pregnancy.
- The fiber content is also believed to help in preventing weight gain during pregnancy. However, this particular action remains unproved.
- Without enough iron, a pregnant woman may experience fatigue and may even turn anemic. Cashews are good source of iron, which helps in fighting against such iron deficit issues.
- Having high levels of monounsaturated fatty acids, cashews also help in supporting healthy levels of low good (HDL) cholesterol, which is highly beneficial during pregnancy.
- Vitamin K content of cashews aids in blood coagulation and prevents excess bleeding at the time of delivery.
- The high magnesium content of cashew high protects expecting moms from elevated blood pressure, muscle spasms, migraine headaches, tension, soreness and fatigue. It also works with calcium to maintain health of muscles and bones of moms-to-be.
- The copper content in cashew nut helps the body to utilize iron, increases flexibility of the blood vessels and eliminates free radicals during pregnancy. It also helps in development of bone and connective tissue of the fetus in the womb.
- Recent researches have shown that cashews have a positive effect on a person’s lipid profile and contribute beneficial effect to those with diabetes or at risk for diabetes. This quality helps in preventing the expecting moms from gestational diabetes,
- The chemicals in cashew nuts have proven effects against tooth decay and other dental problems.
Risks Linked With Cashew nut Consumption In Pregnancy:
- Urushiol (an oil in cashews), content of cashew are capable of causing skin rashes and itching if you are prone to allergies. It is causes discomfort and can rob you of the sleep you need for a healthy pregnancy.
- Over consumption of cashew nuts can cause unwanted weight gain during pregnancy and can make you obese.
- The oxalates in cashews can also become concentrated in body fluids, get crystallized and cause health problems in pregnant women.
Cashew nuts are nature's treat of taste and health. But moderate consumption is the key in reaping the health benefits and flavor of these wonder nuts during pregnancy.
Image Credit: ifood.tv/photo