Is It Safe To Eat Olive During Pregnancy?
Olives are highly popular fruits of the Mediterranean region. Famous for its oil, olives possess numerous health benefits and are used in many cuisines worldwide. However, its consumption during pregnancy requires serious safety considerations . Scroll down to know more about the role of olives, when eaten during pregnancy.
Nutritional Benefits Of Olive In Pregnancy:
- Olives are excellent sources of niacin, which are very essential for hormone production in pregnant women.
- The pantothenic acid in olives helps is aiding in blood cell production in both the fetus as well as the moms-to-be.
- Vitamin E is an excellent antioxidant. It has the capacity of reducing cell damage in expecting mothers and can even act as free radical scavengers.
- Vitamin A content of olives help in proper functioning of immune system and vision. This would help the pregnant women in staying safe against infections.
- Olives have a minimal quantity of vitamin C which helps in the production and repair of tissues, including skin, collagen, tendons and blood vessels.
- Normal blood coagulation is highly required at the time of delivery of the baby and this issue would be taken care of the vitamin K content of the olives.
- A recent study at Chile has revealed that olive oil usage in cooking has a protective effect (primary prevention) during pregnancy on wheezing during the first year of the offspring's life.
- Olive oil is capable of reducing the blood cholesterol and pressure levels during pregnancy.
Complications Linked With Olives During Pregnancy:
- Olives or olive oil may upset your stomach when over-eaten during pregnancy. It may cause either constipation or diarrhea in pregnant women.
So it is always better to have a word with your gynecologist before eating olives/olive oil during pregnancy in order to avoid unnecessary complications. Have a safe pregnancy!
Image Credit: ifood.tv/photo