Is It Safe To Eat Feta Cheese During Pregnancy?
Pregnancy causes a craving for certain selected foods and the tangy flavor of feta cheeses may appeal to many women in such a condition. But when it comes to safety, are these cheeses from Greece safe for both you and your baby? Just trail down to know the facts ssociated with eating feta cheese during pregnancy.
It Is Safe To Eat Feta Cheeses-The Nutritional Factors
- Feta cheeses are good sources of protein which are essential for proper functioning of immune system of moms-to-be.
- The riboflavin content of feta cheeses are major sources of antioxidants. These antioxidants are required in pregnant women to avoid cell damage.
- Calcium content of feta cheese are highly beneficial in maintaining the bone health of the pregnant women and helps in reducing risk of decalcification.
- Feta cheese is a good source of Vitamins like B6, B12, folate and pantothenic acid. These vitamins are required in pregnancy in order to maintain optimal health of both expecting mothers and fetus.
- Minerals like zinc, selenium, iron and magnesium are also available in these cheeses in a remarkable quantity which aid in proper neural and cognitive development of your babies’.
Hazards Of Feta Cheese:
Feta cheeses are prone to listeria(bacteria) infection and consumption of these infected cheeses may cause listeriosis in pregnant women.
- Listeriosis infection may lead following hazards in expectant mothers:
- Infection to your baby
- Premature delivery
- Still birth of new-borns (in worst cases)
Tips For Feta-Cheese Consumption In Pregnancy:
- Check whether the cheeses are from pasteurized milk. If not better do not go for it.
- If the feta cheese is from unpasteurized milk, then ensure that you do not eat it without cooking.
Cheeses are a good choice for protein and calcium during pregnancy. But check whether they are safe in all aspects.
Now it is your turn! Choose a safe cheese!
Image Credit: american.edu