How To Use Onion For Skin Care
You may not be aware that onion is actually excellent for skin care. The humble vegetable is packed with Vitamins A, C and E. This group of vitamins, together known as anti-oxidants, helps in fighting against the damage caused by the harmful UV rays. They also help in protecting against free radical damage which is responsible for premature aging. Onion is also a powerful antiseptic which can shield your skin from acne-causing bacteria and other skin infections.
Eat Onions for Beautiful Skin
Eating raw onions every day can be very helpful in promoting skin health. But if the lingering smell of onions bothers you so much that you just cannot consume them raw, make sure that you at least never over-cook them. Heat can destroy many of the beneficial phytonutrients present in onions, ultimately, making it less virtuous. Try to incorporate onions in your diet by having them in a salad or by even preparing dishes keeping it as the main ingredient .
Onions not only help in purifying blood but also supply the body with flavonoids. Flavonoids help Vitamin C in its important functions. Research has proven that Vitamin C is essential for keeping skin healthy and glowing.
Moreover, the anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties of onions help a great deal in skin conditions like acne. Hence, make them a part of your every day diet for miraculous results.
Apply Onion on Your Skin
Onion Face Pack
Applying onion can be just as beneficial as eating it.
- To prepare your own onion face mask, combine together 2 tablespoons gram flour, 1 1/2 tablespoon freshly extracted onion juice, a pinch of nutmeg and 1/2 teaspoon milk.
- Mix all the ingredients to form a thick paste.
- In case, the pack becomes too thick, add extra milk to create the desired consistency.
- You can also add a few drops of lavender essential oil to the paste if the smell of onions is too offensive for you.
- Apply the pack evenly to your face and neck after cleansing.
- Allow the pack to remain for 15-20 minutes or until it dries completely.
- Dab some milk and begin removing the pack by massaging in gentle circular movements.
This pack not only exfoliates dead skin cells but also renders skin lightening benefits. The anti-microbial properties of onions also help fight against acne.
Massaging with fresh onion juice can be very useful in increasing blood circulation. This massage would improve the over-all appearance of your skin by giving your face a more youthful and radiant appearance.
- For the massage, mix together equal quantities of onion juice and fresh yogurt.
- You can also add a few drops of your favorite essential oil to give the mixture a pleasant aroma.
- Massage your entire face in gentle circular movements using the mixture.
- Do the massage for 10-15 minutes every day for best results.
The phytonutrients and anti-oxidants present in onion will help provide deep nourishment to your skin while also helping in removing skin impurities. Onion juice is also excellent for getting rid of dark spots and pigmentation. The lactic acid present in yogurt further magnifies the benefits rendered by onion juice.
Follow all these suggestions regularly and make onions a crucial part of your life, diet and skin care. Healthy, beautiful and glowing skin is guaranteed!
Image courtesy: ifood.tv