Basil Oil For Hair Care
The extract of basil leaves is all about health and medicine and it is less wonder that using basil oil for hair care opens up a new avenue for root-deep nourishment of the mane. The medicinal value of the oil is exponential, which unravels yet another natural route to caring for those tresses – namely applying basil oil on the hair.
Let us discover the benefits of basic oil for hair care.
Benefits of Basil oil on the hair
In many parts of Asia especially India, the basil plant is worshipped as “Tulsi” because of its healing powers. The basil leaf’s scent in itself pronounces a strong sense of rejuvenation with health and glow. From common cold to respiratory problems manifesting into conditions such as whopping cough to hair-care, using basil oil on the hair expounds the plant’s cosmetic attributes as well. Let us look further into the oil that heals:
• Basil oil is basically an essential oil, which can be used in combination with other oils for aromatherapy. The oil’s essence lies in its ability to soothe the nervous system thereby relaxing the mind, and also treat certain kinds of depression. To be pith and precise, basil oil is a good stress buster and by keeping the nervous system and the mind at stable levels it ensures that proper nourishment reaches the scalp, the hair-roots, follicles optimally.
• Another significant benefit of basil oil for the hair is that it helps to tone-up the hair-texture which brings out luster in hair. When used in massage, basil oil rejuvenates the hair follicles and hydrates the scalp to breathe life into your hair.
• Improved blood circulation is also achieved by applying basil oil on the hair. When blood circulation is improved, there is enhanced reach-out of nutrients to all parts of the body including the scalp and subsequently hair-follicles. This way basil oil also promotes hair growth.
• Basil oil has test-proven antibacterial properties, which help to keep all microbial infections of the scalp at bay. A clean and healthy scalp will ward off infections, head lice and thus ensure optimal hair growth.
Basil oil blends well with bergamot, black pepper, cedarwood, fennel, ginger, geranium, grapefruit, lavender, lemon, marjoram, neroli and verbena.
With the umpteen benefits of basil oil for hair, let us now gather a few tips on how to use it.
Treatment plan with basil oil for hair care
• Mix 2 drops of lavender oil, rosemary oil, two drops of basil oil half-an-ounce of jojoba oil and slightly greater amount of sweet almond oil and, massage the combination on the scalp with your fingertips.
• Allow it stay for 20 minutes or so.
• Give your hair a nice rinse with a shampoo.
The above treatment plan can be followed for 2 – 3 times in a week and you can see a visible difference in 6 months time.
Basil leaves are an active cooking ingredient in Mediterranean cuisine and can be included as part of the daily diet. However pregnant and women and nursing mothers are advised against consuming the oil.
So, the next time you come across this herb, pluck its leaf, add it your culinary preparation or simmer it in oil and extract the benefits of basil oil for hair care.
Photo Courtesy : lisaiscooking.blogspot.com